Monday, February 15, 2010

THE TWIRLING JEWELS




These last few weeks I have been a lot like my orange syrup semolina cake. Sweet , intense and at times a little bit dense. Why the extremes? Why the rollercoaster of love , fear, passion and joy? I don't know exactly, I guess that is how I attack life. Full on , full throttle, and yet can pull back at the last minute like one of those daredevil crusty riders who loses their nerve just before they jump through the circle of fire.


I have been talking to the big guy about it lately (and i don't mean my hubby.) He has been showing me this part of me and he has really encouraged me to let go and jump


"Fear not, for I am with you "


Tandem jumping is sooo much better than alone jumping me thinks, anyways, my orange syrup cake may be dense, but it is not fearful. So maybe I can learn from this humble yet articulate cake. Here is the recipe:


1 3/4 cups orange juice


2 cups caster sugar


melted butter for greasing


250g unsalted butter


2 tsp grated orange rind


4 eggs separated 1 cup semolina


1 cup plain flour


3/4 tsp bicarb


1 cup greek yoghurt


1. stir orange juice and i cup of the sugar in a sacepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves.


Bring to boil.Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 mins or until syrup thickens. Cool.


2.Preheat oven to 170 C . Grease loaf pan WITH MELTED BUTTER.


Use an electric mixer to beat butter, remaining sugar and orange rind till pale and creamy. add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well.sift over semolina, flour and bicarb.Add yoghurt and combine well.


3.Use claen electric beater to beat the egg whites in a large, clean , dry bowl until firm peaks form. fold 1/3 of the egg white into semolina mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg white. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.


4 Use skewer to prick the top of hot cake all over. Pour syrup over the cake and set aside to cool.




Enjoy peoples. Its fearless :)

1 comment:

  1. orange cake is my fav, and this has to be the best so far. definitely worth trying

    ReplyDelete